The cost of NOT migrating to the CloudOctober 4, 2021
CloudStraight builds Disaster Recovery site on AWS for IKY.April 7, 2022
Online shopping has taken off during the last couple of years, especially since most people have stayed home due to the pandemic. During events like Black Friday and Cyber Monday traffic to e-commerce sites grow exponentially with significant spikes!
With consumers spending only a couple of minutes or even a few seconds on each page, your site has to be able to handle these spikes in traffic!The ability to scale based on demand is one of the chief reasons businesses move their infrastructures to the cloud. Taking advantage of best practices for building scalability into your infrastructure can help you improve customer experience and increase your sales! By scalability we mean:
- vertical scalability (moving to higher-capacity servers), and
- horizontal scalability (adding more instances) to respond to traffic surges.
Vertical vs Horizontal Scaling
Is your site ready for anything?Preparing for such mega surges in traffic like Black Friday starts with as much automating and scaling as possible. But don’t stop there!!! Proper planning includes more than just turning on a few switches.
At CloudStraight we use the latest best practices and tools to prepare yout infrastructure for high traffic events.
- we MONITOR EVERYTHING! We set alarms and notifications for key performance metrics conservatively to alert the right person or automate the right action.
- we use Auto Scaling. We set alarms and notifications for key performance metrics conservatively to alert the right person or automate the right action. We also use extra features to perform heatlh check and automatically replace servers the fail.
- we leverage Elastic Load Balancing to automatically distribute traffic across multiple servers. In case your customer come from different countries we can balance traffic across multiple regions and Availability zones.
- we leverage AWS DNS service to scale your DNS. This way the DNS checks the health of the registered servers for the load balancer to determine whether they are available and routes them to the most available resource.
- we improve performance using in-memory cashing. This way the DNS checks the health of the registered servers for the load balancer to determine whether they are available and routes them to the most available resource.
But also:Test, test, and test some more. Use historical metrics to help forecast and model future traffic and to estimate your resource needs.
Think like a customer! It's all about delivering a great shopping experience for your customers.
Contact us to discuss how we can migrate your e-commerce to the Cloud and Join the Digital R-Evolution!